Tuesday 15 January 2013

AFS Fat Killers

Introduction:

Saturday 12 January saw the start of our first weight loss challenge.  I decided to call it Fat Killers as it sounds pretty cool and leads to the belief that we will kill the weight forever!

I have looked into many of the CrossFit recommended diets including the Paleo diet to see which I think is the one we will follow to start with.  I have settled for the Zone diet as I feel this is the easiest one for us to just take what we are eating and manage it a bit better.  Once we are managing our meals we can then worry about whats in them.

Our first session was pretty well attended.

Gill Gaffney
Janet Kent
Michelle Hogben
Mark Hogben
Jess Grant
Allie Moseley
Kala Bolton

Others that are going to take the challenge are:

Nick Mills
Joe Burnell

What we did:


  1. We established what the zone diet is all about.  We discussed blocks and what makes up 1 block of Carbs/Fat/Protein and which foods equate to which blocks.
  2. We established what type of zone diet we would follow i.e Large Male for myself, medium female for Kala.  This would dictate how many blocks per meal we were aiming for throughout the day. I am on a 19block target and Kala 11blocks.
  3. We went through the food groups and a few examples of meals.  The biggest thing I noticed was portion size.  I'm pretty sure previously I was eating many 10blocks per meal ;).  I am worried about starving guys.  If you see a stick man that used to look like me in 12 weeks then my fears were right....
  4. We weighed.  Well actually I sent the guys home and asked them to weigh in private.  Although I am keen for us all to lose weight and reach our targets that bit of information I feel is personal.  This puts no outside pressure on weight loss and means you are only having to be honest with yourself.
  5. Gym time.  This is crucial.  I think that so long as we make fitness and performance our main aim  then the weight loss will come.  Setting fitness goals as well as weight goals will work the same as CrossFit.  When one gets a little plateaux you can kick the other one up a gear!!
Anyone wishing to follow the zone here is the link to the handout I gave everyone on Saturday - ZONE DIET

In 12 weeks I will be putting up a before and after pic of myself.  I'm pretty sure a couple of others have done the same.  Everyone will be following our CrossFit Programme at least 3 times a week.  My current weight is 110kg and I am aiming to get to around 100kg.  Fitness wise I am aiming to hit a 200kg squat and hit a 7:30 2km row.  

Post your weight goals, fitness targets below and lets get after it!!!!

Gareth

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I aim to be an 85kg ninja

A ninja who snatches 100kg, runs a 6 minute mile, and can do more work in less time then before

Too much to ask?

Unknown said...

not sure whats going on with my weight, last nights weigh in showed me back to just over 105kg, a 5kg increase since December.

I dont feel my training has dropped off so not really too sure whats going on but I need to fix it and quick lol

Chalky said...

well .. My goals wasn't as much weight loss(tho always nice) it was about reducing bodyfat and eating right !! After a few tough first days I seem to have it sorted though sticking to the same meals !! I had a bad night last night as I emotionally ate my old body-weight in cheesecake .. far too many blocks .. but got up this morning to pull my trackies on to feel them loose .. on to the scale lost 1kg :) Now id like to lose around 6kg over the course :)

Unknown said...

I weighed 84.4 kg last Saturday and this morning weighed 83.4 kg, a good start.

Weight goals: to lose around 8-10 kg

Fitness goals: Does anyone know a good WOD which I could do once a week so that I can compare my results to the previous week? That would help me track progress.

Joe

Post a Comment