Sunday 3 November 2013

AFSCrossFit, Andover - End of an Era

TAFS,

As I'm sure most of you are aware we have now moved to 1 Towergate Ind Est, Colebrook Way, SP103BB.  We have spent the last 2 weeks moving and I have to say I am absolutely knackered.  Thankfully you guys have been fantastic and the help you have given me has been invaluable.  I'm pretty sure I would have given up a long time ago had it not been for the support you have all shown.

The past 3 and a half years have been a journey full of ups and downs.  Seeing the old place empty, echoing every sound takes me back to the first day I stepped into the gym and started to realise my dream.  We have seen countless PB's over the years and seeing the pure joy these moments have brought have made all the hard times worth while.  We will be showcasing some of these improvements through our new testimonial page on the website.  I have a few people lined up with before and after pics and a short paragraph but if you would like to add to it please email me your testimonial.

As I look back and analyse what it is we have achieved I also look back and think what the hell was I thinking.  I went into a massive project with absolutely no experience, and in all honesty absolutely no idea what a CrossFit gym looked like or how it worked.  I recently met with a couple of very lovely ladies who are about to embark on their own CrossFit gym and I surprised myself at just how far I have come as a person and business man but how far we have evolved as a gym. 

I look back with fond memories of Matt W, Jess the Devil, The Oak, my little bro and many others hitting their first muscle up.  I remember our first competition "Andover's Fittest 2010" having 20 competitors and this year we had 44 compete.  We have developed our kids program to 20 kids all of whom we will be looking to take to the schools weightlifting competition next year.  We have been a member of British Weightlifting for 3 years and will be looking to hold more weightlifting competitions in house in the new gym.

I have to be honest and say that over the past 18months we have maybe lost focus on what we want to achieve as a gym.  I will hold my hands up and say that a lot of my drive has been drained out of me by the sheer pressure of worrying about money and the business staying open.  Over these past couple of weeks you have all shown fantastic support.  Our aim is to take that support and channel it into making our little CrossFit Community a vibrant one.  By moving we have secured our future and I will be able to start creating a box worthy of all of you.

The Future:

As we move into the new gym it has already received wonderful feedback and I'm pleased that my initial impression of the place is shared by many of you.  As we move forward however we need to address a few issues.  I have many ideas to improve the gym.  We will be seeing a new website very soon with a booking system put in place, we have a feature wall planned which I can assure you will look amazing.  The rig will be getting a make over to allow more efficient use of the space.  Once we have full planning permission we will be opening up the two rooms to give us a fantastic open plan gym.  Upstairs sees our very own globo gym (lol) which we will look to improve upon over the coming months. 

Rules:

As you are all aware I'm not particularly great at rules.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sit and count 300 burpee punishments.  However I want to put it in your court to come up with our version of the 10 commandments.  Here's a start:

1- Leave your ego at the door
2- Replace all equipment
3- Follow the program or use the Open Gym session
4-
5-

Changes:

We have a chance to re-launch the gym. We have a new website en route, we have new branding planned and we are in discussions to change the name to CrossFit Andover.  Would you guys like to keep AFSCrossFit or change to CrossFit Andover?

We have about a month until our planning goes through.  Once it is through you will see some major improvements that I'm sure you will all like. 

Thanks again TAFS.
Gareth

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment