Friday 1 February 2013

Test Success

TEST WEEK SUMMARY

We have started 2013 and to all intents and purposes we are off to a cracker.  The past 6 months has seen some ups and some downs.  Many of us have had to juggle training with life.  I know having a baby has certainly affected my training (Some would say it wasn't Theo's fault).  Over the past 3 years we have come a hell of a long way.  I know I have evolved enormously as a coach and a programmer.  I have to admit I embarked on this training phase not knowing if what I had come up with would be effective.  After spending many hours researching legends such as Mike Burgenor, gyms such as Catalyst Athletics and MDUSA I developed a program I felt that 95% of us could not only cope with but also develop and excel at.  The truth is I was hopeful we would see improvements but you guys have put in some serious effort and impressed me with your performances. I'm extremely proud of each and every one of you and you should be proud of what you have achievedup to now.

Strength gains, WOD times plummeting and goals not only being hit but smashed to pieces has been the order of the week.  Seeing people break through milestones and obstacles this week has been memorable.  I have to say that my most satisfying moment was to see the results of Christine.  This was one of our original benchmarks with the 15 minute mark being our gold standard in 2010.  At the time only a few achieved this standard.  To see this week almost everyone get under that time was fantastic and those who didn't quite make it under still knocked minutes off their previous best.  On a coaching note my top 3 moments were:

  • Jess hitting 5 butterfly pull ups in every round of Murph after 12 months of working on her shoulder mobility.  
  • Allie hitting a 50kg clean after 6 months of frustration.
  • Alix back squatting 90kg and nearly fainting showed what a tough rep was all about.
The past few months has seen a lot of soul searching.  People asking me if they needed to train harder? Were they progressing fast enough? Should they follow a different program?  And the answer was always be patient, stay focused and trust me.  Strength training takes years and training twice a day will not speed that up.  Olympic lifting is a skill that takes years to perfect.  Most of the progress made happens outside of the gym.  Quality rest and good, clean(ish) eating are the building blocks to improving fitness.  Our whiteboard program has been geared towards developing our basics.  Real progress has been made with Pull Ups, Dips and Handstand Push Ups.  Our goal is to be able to RX every WOD.   Once we can do that the next step is competition.

My goals for 2013 are simple.  I want a team in the top 20 at DWF.  I want 5 members to qualify for London Throwdown 2014 and if we can get someone to regionals that would be the icing on the cake.

What are your goals TAFS?

Gareth

1 comments:

Chalky said...

to just enjoy it :)

Post a Comment